Monday 12 May 2014

Self Marriage: What happens when it come to Self-Divorce?

Last week I spoke of the joys of marrying yourself, which is something I one day aspire doing. Now please do not get me wrong thinking I want to marry myself with anticipation of divorcing myself later on. I have never wed anyone in my life, but the thought of going through the divorce process would be taxing, both emotionally and financially on both parties involved. Also it is not healthy to plan for marriage thinking ‘I’ll just divorce you when I feel like it’.

Thank you for the inspiration of Self-Marriage, Chen Wen-yih. You go girl!!

Usually when I get swept away in blissful, empowering thoughts of marrying myself (yes, it happens more than once a day), a destructive thought invades my mind questioning how one would go about divorcing themselves.

Usually when someone ‘puts a ring on it’, you wed with the intent of spending the rest of your life with that person. Of course things get in the way like adultery, deep dark secrets relieved like gambling, alcohol problems or a serial killer past, or the (sometimes) inevitable factor of growing apart. When you wed yourself though, you should general know all your flaws and secrets better than any monogamous or polygamous couple. (HA! The benefits of sologamy!) You cannot keep secrets about yourself from yourself, you cannot withhold information from yourself, nor can you purchase that pair of expensive boots you’ve been eyeing off, hide them in your closet and pretend that you bought them ages ago! Unless of course you have selective amnesia, then anything is possible.



However what if you start learning too much about yourself, feel overwhelmed, or experience that sometimes inevitable growing apart from yourself, just like any monogamous or polygamous couple can? Is it possible to fall so hard out of love with yourself that you need “conscious uncoupling” from yourself?

Honestly I couldn’t imagine that, but I was curious to know what other people’s thoughts were of my conundrum. Asking one friend the question, she wore a delighted smile on her face and responded ‘at least the divorce would be short and sweet!’ True, except it probably all depends how severe the person’s split personality syndrome was. What if it was so bad they legitimately needed to divorce themselves? I feel like this conundrum is far more radical than the notion of marrying yourself, which honestly I think is perfectly sane, normal, healthy and should be a freely accepted human right amongst all citizens. Especially to liberate young people to build their self-confidence. I just hope my idol Chen Wen-yih never decides to divorce herself.



What are your thoughts on Self Marriage and Divorce?


#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

1 comment:

Mem condo said...

Also what if you fell Inlove with someone whilst being married to yourself? Would that be classed as cheating on yourself?