Wednesday 14 May 2014

Public Family Feuding

The infamous photo of Jay-Z, Beyonce and Solange Knowles after Met Gala 2014 


There is footage circulating the Internet involving a feud that happened between Beyoncé’s younger sister, Solange Knowles and Jay-Z in an elevator after the Met Gala 2014. I have not yet watched this footage, nor do I plan to, as I’m a big fan of Solange, her music and obviously Beyoncé. Since the feud occurred in a private, enclosed space like an elevator, I am doubtful the footage was meant for public viewing. Especially since the recorded footage shows a bodyguard intentionally stopping the elevator before it reaches the ground where paparazzi were waiting. Additionally given how private Jay-Z and Beyoncé are known to be, it further builds my assumption the footage was never meant for the public to watch, make or share judgement.

Beyoncé & Solange Knowles

Family can be a complicated thing. Unfortunately you cannot always choose your family and have to make do with what you have. I have experienced all sorts of family dysfunctionality and many family feuds. I grew up with a difficult grandmother I didn’t speak to for four years prior to her death. She once unprovokingly called me a ‘piece of dirt’ to my brother, which confused and upset me and once addressed me in a birthday card as a ‘stranger’ from some unbeknownst reason. She also picked a fight with my father (her son) saying ‘he was a mistake’, regretted having him, and the list could go on. I also have an older brother I do not speak of, as my family and I had a massive falling out with him after an accumulation events.


Solange & Beyoncé with mother, Tina Knowles (centre) 

Growing up with him was difficult. He was a vindictive person who always believed he to be the innocent victim. He never took responsibility of his own actions and always felt necessary to seek revenge on those who ‘crossed’ him. He also had an incredibly low self-esteem and often found strength by intentionally belittling everyone around him to make himself feel superior.
When the feud initially occurred between him, my family and I, I barely spoke to anyone about it except for a couple of close-knit friends of mine. Otherwise I kept very quiet and private about the whole ordeal because it was all we ever spoke about at home, it was upsetting and I didn’t want everyone knowing of my personal drama out of respect for my family. Furthermore the feud was emotionally damaging for everyone involved, made me feel helpless as there was nothing I could do in my situation but let the feud run its course and support my family.


Although I do not know what caused the feud between Solange Knowles and Jay-Z and refuse to watch the footage, I know how personal family feuds are and how emotionally damaging they can be. Furthermore the only people aware of the situation are those involved, thus I think it is incredibly poor taste that members of the public are shaming and sharing negative judgements of the event as well as ridiculing the parties involved. There is a great chance that those involved in the feud wanted it to be kept it private. Therefore those who leaked the elevator footage to the public should be shamed on themselves for adding fuel to the fire by creating a public spectacle and aggravating the parties involved. Shame on you! Simply let the  parties involved resolves issues in peace and privacy away from the public eye.


What are your thoughts?

#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x



No comments: