Sunday 13 April 2014

Sex And The City Has Deluded Single Women #1



Recently attending a friend’s wedding in regional Victoria, I had this perception built by the women of Sex and the City that weddings were all about shaming the single women in order to make them feel degraded about their 'lonesome' status. This perception was built in reference to 'The Chicken Dance' (episode seven, season two).

Now don’t get me wrong, my single status makes me feel liberated and free. I can do what I want, when I want and believe that Beyoncé would be proud of me. So I don’t want people to sympathise or condescend me for my choice when I know I could be in a relationship, however while I am looking for the perfect fit, I would rather focus on myself.

With an early episode of Sex and the City in mind, I pictured myself in a Charlotte-type situation, trying to find the perfect gown that will make all the men stare (in a tasteful way, of course, without distracting attention from the bride) and finding a fleeting romance which will both sweep me off my feet, then come crashing down hard all in a space of an evening. I am afraid to report though that was not the case.

The dress I ended up wearing that day was my trustworthy, never fail Witchery dress decked out in new jewels I purchased from Lovisa. I also wore my reliable Funki heels I know I can last the night in. Furthermore with this built Sex and The City delusion in my head, it was almost like I was waiting for it to happen, but nothing. I looked around the room for eligible bachelors, and no offense to the ones that were there, but nothing. I did however find my friends Mim (aka Mimosa / Champagne & OJ) and Champs (Champagne) who pepped me up and gave me that party buzz that all vie for.

I wish I could report even the slightest form of single-shame at the wedding to add relevancy to this article, but I really felt nothing. I did at one point of the evening in my inebriated state think to myself of making out with a stranger for the sake of this article, but apologies because that never happened. Maybe it is the comfort I have found for myself that prevents me for feeling this shame; or the discontentment the fictional ‘liberated’ characters of Sex and the City women felt with themselves. It remains though that I had an exceptional time at my friend’s wedding. I did not meet anyone new and happily danced the night away with my friends in couples.

For those concerned though, I did participate in the wedding tradition of catching the bouquet. Although I did not catch it, I did pick it up. Therefore according to my friends, all attendees and video evidence, I am next in line to be wed (regardless of the fact one friend who attended the wedding is getting wed next month). Thus everyone is cordially invited to attend not only my Hen’s night, but also the wedding of myself and I. The date is yet to be confirmed but please dress to impress, ladies and gents.

x


No comments: