Monday 2 June 2014

Personal Favourite Interview Tips (Part One)

Selfie taken before an interview
Wearing long-sleeved black dress from Dotti and a colourful statement necklace from Riley Burnett

I used to be the kind of person who’d apply for jobs just to be interviewed. I loved the process. Getting the phone call saying I’ve been successful for an interview, organising it, deciding what to wear and actually attending. It’s like attending a romantic first date but with the prospect of getting paid for it. So I thought I would share my personal interview tips with everyone and split it in two parts. First piece of advice:

# Know the job you are going for
Standard advice, however in moments of desperation, I’ve applied for any and every job on employment websites. From floristry (no qualifications whatsoever), erotic dancing, retail and IT (again no qualifications at all). I’d then apply for jobs I’m legitimately interested and eligible for, get a phone call or email saying I’ve been successful and I think to myself ‘I wonder if it’s for the stripper role I applied for last week’ … Or I’d occasionally rock up to interviews not actually knowing what it’s for.

I  have applied in the past to be a stripper, however I could never be one
… their salary is very tempting though

# Only apply for jobs you are interested, eligible and qualified for
Make note of what you applied for and employer contact details so you can follow up your application a couple of days after you apply. Also save the job descriptions you applied for, so when you do get acceptance for an interview, you can refer back to it, refresh your memory and base your position and company research around it.

# Wear something memorable
Doesn’t mean ‘attend interview in your birthday suit (or naked)’. I tend to avoid wearing corporate clothing to interviews, mostly because I don’t like wearing all black attire. I also have a curvaceous figure and feel pencil skirts sometimes sexualise my figure. I prefer wearing comfortable cute dresses for the interview, red lipstick (or any other bright colour) and colourful accessories. My theory behind wearing something colourful, different or memorable to interviews is that you will stand out and be at the forefront of your employer’s minds.

The Amazonian beauty on the far right with friends at an Engagement Party 2013
I wear this stripy dress to interviews sometimes, teaming it up with a bright pink cardigan and black heels. 

# Judge the time and day of your interview
If it’s Friday 4pm in the afternoon, your interviewer has been interviewing all day and week for the position. Chances are they may be looking forward to the weekend, more than filling the position. … I know I would. Just be empathetic, control the interview by asking relevant questions and be memorable.

# It’s as much an interview for the employer to find the right candidate as it is for you to find the right employer and position
A lot of people I know tend to forget themselves in interview contexts and think of it as the employer interviewing for the right candidate. However the interview process is as much for you as it is for them.

DO NOT pull this face in interviews, but DO ask lots of questions

# Ask lots of questions
You have no idea how refreshing it is for interviewers to be asked questions, especially if they’ve been interviewing all day. Not only is it impressive when candidates take initiative and control by asking questions, but it shows interest and research in the position.
I recently interviewed for a ‘Coordinator, Programs and Events’ position with a company. The interview was on a Thursday at 4.30 or 5pm, so considering it was late in the week and in the day, I assumed they'd exhausted from interviewing all day (possibly week), so I tried to take as much initiative and control by asking as many questions about the company and position as possible. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with the position, however they were impressed by my questions and interview skills, that they offered me casual work with potential of full time ongoing work when it becomes available.
Interviewers also admire and appreciate it because it gives them a break from asking you questions.


 Questions to ask in any given job interview context
·      What does a ‘normal’ day in this role look like?
·      Expected tasks, challenges and rewards for this role?
·      What do they find the most challenging and rewarding aspect of their role in the company?
·      Changes or Challenges they see in their industry
·      What kind of person do they think would be best suited to the role?
·      Prospect of ongoing professional development, rewards and recognition?


Part two of 'Personal Favourite Interview Tips' out Wednesday.
In the meantime, what are your favourite interview tips?

#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

No comments: