Wednesday 7 May 2014

Love Myself, Marry Thyself

Many moons ago, I dated a close friend of mine. While I liked the guy, he often ridiculed me for not investing in any of my hobbies or interests*. Although I lacked the self-respect and confidence back then, I knew no one should ever be made to feel guilty for not taking up their own interests, so I decided to give him the flick as well as a polite-yet-effective way of saying ‘fuck you and good riddance’ by focusing on the most important person in my life. Me.

Since him, I’ve been in a happily committed ‘sologamist’ relationship with myself. My sologamist relationship has only strengthened over time as I strongly support and encourage myself to do things that make me happy and that I love, like playing soccer, singing classes and solo international travels to non-English speaking countries. The time I have spent on myself as well as my experiences have only strengthened the love, bond and appreciation I have for myself as well as the freedom I have.

Now at an age where friends are settling down with their long-term partners, moving in, having mortgages, babies and focusing on their careers, I often ‘joke’ with them that I’d most likely marry myself if I could. However I have come to the realisation that it isn’t such a bad idea. I have dated many men who’ve failed to provide me with the respect and appreciation I deserve. They also cannot love or spoil me quite like I do for myself. Nor do I expect them to.  I mean I buy myself expensive things like return flights overseas! So I do not expect that of any man I date, although it would be nice.

If anything I feel empowered as the person who knows myself best. I enjoy my own company and laugh at my own jokes. All. The. Time! Any of my friends would endearingly agree. I am so comfortable in my own company that I can happily keep myself entertained for hours. 

Furthermore I figure if Carrie Bradshaw can marry herself all for a pair of replacement Manolo Blahnik’s heels in “A Woman’s Right to Shoes”, surely I could declare love for myself by 'putting a ring on it'. Also if Chen Wei-yih can be the first woman in the world to wed herself in Taiwan, then call me game!

"When I look back at my self-commitment marriage ceremony, I am reminded that I shouldn't betray myself in any way or at any time" - Chen Wei-yi

Perhaps ridiculous, but I would love to read your thoughts!


Next week’s blog: The problems of marrying yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* I often found his persona intimidating; if he wanted to go out and do something, he would. In my eyes he appeared self-actualised and fulfilled. Even though I remember on one occasion getting a call from him in Sydney to tell me whilst on a bender, that he decided to leave a party early, catch a cab to Melbourne Airport in the early hours of the morning and buy an impulse flight to his destination. Each to their own, but his impulsiveness and fondness of drugs would never make him quality boyfriend material.

No comments: