Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day

Affectionately known as mama bear, mama Torts, mama cakes, or just plain ‘mum’. It is Mother’s Day in Australia and I am dedicating this post to her.

Things I love about my mother:

1. We are a reflection of each other:
My mother received a breast cancer scare a couple of years ago. I decided to accompany her to the appointment to get the official results. She ended up wanting to be in the appointment alone, while I waited in the waiting room for her. About 10-15 minutes, she comes prancing out of the doctor’s office with a massive grin on her face to announce “Yay! I’ve just got lumpy tits, Leah! Let’s celebrate!” That’s when I knew I came out of her womb.

My mum and I before I departed for Nepal

2. She is an exceptional actress:
For my year 12 Media assignment, she graciously accepted the part as ‘Esther’, a Jewish mother who went on murderous rampage to kill her whole family after they all failed to remember to keep the date free for a family Chanukah dinner*. My mother received a standing ovation for her starring role, fame and often reminiscences proudly on this moment of her life. She was (and still is) amazing!
*My mother claims she wasn’t acting.


3. She is as young as she feels (aka incredibly immature):
My friends are often curious to know where my craziness comes from: the answer is her. ‘Why grow up’, she says. She claims she’ll never grow up and continue to embrace her inner childishness. I also love how she appears so motherly, warm and genuine to my friends. However as soon as they leave, her endearing immaturity comes out.

Mum and dad in their usual get up (going to a 70s Disco Party)

4. She raised two little terrors and an angel:
My brothers were a handful growing up and to some degree they still are. Although I am sometimes no better than they are, I like to consider myself as my parent’s little angel, which I am sure they would disagree on. However it wasn’t always easy for my mother with my father working interstate and visiting every fortnightly weekend. It was tough on their marriage, but also tough on my mother’s sanity raising two pubescent teenage boys, however my parents miraculously managed. So kudos to the both of you!


5. The way she loves and supports her family:
Even though I show disgust when my mother and father show affection for each other; I think it is a beautiful, rare sight nowadays seeing a couple after 30 years marriage still in love in an age where divorce is so common. I love how she loves him and supports him through everything as she does with her children.

An a la natural picture of my mum and dad

Most of all, I love her because she’s my Mama Bear and I, her Baby Bear.


What do you love most about your mother?


#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

No comments: