Monday 19 May 2014

Why 'Beyoncé Would Be Proud'

I’d like to let you all on a little secret … I do not personally know Beyoncé.

I would like to let you know though that I am a city girl from Melbourne with real problems like ‘if I should wash my hair tonight or save it for after soccer practice tomorrow’. These are the real things I worry about.

Queen Bey & I outside Coco Bongo in Mexico

I do not know what Beyoncé is proud of, but based on my perception of what she embodies, represents and brings to public knowledge, I believe Beyoncé would be proud of the ambitious woman I am. I have strength, act on my ambitions and follow through with my passions such as writing this blog and travelling independently. I also feel strongly about women’s rights and often feel offended when men treat women secondary, put them down, dismiss or devalue their worth. I also do not like the way  traditional masculinity negatively impacts on female relations by encouraging them to  compete and act against each other through bitchiness and slut shaming.


Before travelling solo through most of Latin America, I used to suffer much self-doubt. Now I feel self-assured, confident and happy as a person, which is something no one can take away from me. My experiences have shaped the person I am today and am thankful for that. Over the years I have built a newfound appreciation for myself that enables me to speak my mind if I feel mistreated or devalued, which is something I could not do before as I lacked self-confidence and self-appreciation. However I know my worth now, am happy and unapologetic for that. I also know I can be an over-sharer and believe some of the funniest stories are the ones that should never  been told, which I am also impenitent for.

Given how much Beyoncé values her privacy, I am doubtful she would be too impressed with my love for poop stories and immature reactions (i.e. bursting out in laughter) when someone farts in public. We’re all human at the end of the day though. We should embrace our imperfections and celebrate our craziness.


While I strongly admire Beyoncé, her womanly prowess; the documentaries I have watched about her music career depict her to be a very strong-willed, determined and serious woman who pays great attention to the finest details. She does not leave much to chance and likes to be in complete control of her situation. As soon as she loses the slightest bit of control of her situation, she is not a happy Beyoncé.


I consider Beyoncé to be an intellectual, powerfully influential, empowering woman who kicks all arses and dominates the music industry. However I personally like leaving things to chance and going with the flow. I do not believe in making plans, as I know they never work out as intended. I also enjoy having freedom, flexibility and consider myself to be a care free spirit who doesn’t take life seriously and loves sharing a laugh amongst new and old friends.

Life is about having fun and living it to the fullest without regrets. It is about doing more of what makes you happy. For me that is writing, which I know is something Beyoncé would be proud of.




No comments: