Sunday 1 June 2014

This is my Coming Out ...

Musician Sam Smith

I was listening to the radio driving home from soccer practice when I heard for the second time this week radio announcers congratulating musician, Sam Smith for 'coming out'.

Firstly I think it's great that he is homosexual, however it is a very insignificant factor and relates nothing to his talent or his singing abilities.

Secondly why are we congratulating people on their sexual preference? If this is what is happening nowadays, I want to be congratulated for being heterosexual.

Thirdly if we are trying to be progressive, move forward and past the negative connotations of being homosexual, then what are we doing making such a huge deal of congratulating every celebrity that comes out?
Someone's sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with their talent, so why the big deal?!


I am heterosexual and I want to be congratulated too! … Even though it has nothing to do with anything, except for this rant maybe.

Can someone please congratulate me?

***Also on a more serious note, in terms of progression and supporting the gay community, do you think it's right to be congratulating every celebrity that comes out with their sexuality?

Thank you,
#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

No comments: