Monday 26 May 2014

What's your name again?

That awkward moment when you’re in a social environment  like work, a party, or even at school and the perfect stranger approaches you. They say, “Hey Leah, how are you going? I haven’t seen you in ages!”


My response “Yeah, I’m doing great ... and yourself?” Conversation ensues, all the while you are trying to wrack your brain remembering who the hell they are. Time runs out before you can remember and the person politely ends the conversation, as there is somewhere else they are needed to be. “Well Leah, it was great seeing you! We should catch up sometime. I still have your number, so I’ll see you soon!” I smile, give them a friendly wink, point and nudge in acknowledgement … then turn to a friend as they walk away and ask “Who the hell was that?”

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence for me. When I'm in a social setting I’m pretty outgoing, extroverted and love striking up conversation with strangers. I introduce myself, share a laugh with them then politely move on to the next person. I am not what you’d call a wallflower. I struggle keeping a low profile in any environment, as I like making my presence known, having a laugh, getting to know people and constantly break out in dance.

I don't think I have a forgetful memory like Dory the fish and generally pride myself that I remember most people’s names I interact with. Or at the very least, remember previous conversations, so building rapport or newfound friendship comes easy to me. Hence when I do forget someone’s name, I feel guilty about it.

So I thought I’d share with you some of my favourite ways of avoiding these awkward situations:


#1:      Turn it into a game

When I immediately know I’ve forgotten the person’s name I am interacting with (and they so clearly remember mine since they drop it like it’s hot), I usually apologise then strike up a game with them.

The Game
If I get their name right, I win. If I get their name wrong, they have every right to call me by a name that isn’t my own, so I can forever live down the shame of not remembering theirs.
I have only ever lost this game once and to a small group of friends at work, I am known as ‘Michelle’. Although it is a funny, yet sad reminder that I’m not great at remembering people’s names, I do work with 150+ people. So 2 out of 150+ isn’t bad.





#2:      Bring a friend into the conversation

“Hey, have you met my friend Belinda? Belinda, this is …(gesture her toward the people who’s names you’ve forgotten)”. Without fail those people will politely introduce themselves to ‘Belinda’, unless of course they've picked up on your clever scheme and gesture to you to say their names.

#3:      Admit your imperfections and that you don’t remember their name

Honesty is the best policy. If you have forgotten their name and don't have the luxury of asking someone nearby what their name is, fess up! Yes it's impolite to say, “I am so sorry, but I have forgotten your name”, especially when they so clearly remember yours, but it's how you handle it that is most important. So try to be as polite as you can, or revert back to suggestion #1. They should appreciate your honesty, or get over the fact you have forgotten their name.

 ---

At the end of the day we are all human. We cannot all be perfect by remembering the name of every single person we interact with, but we can try. Or we can simply be apologetic and make an entertaining game out of it.

---
If you have any suggestions on avoiding awkward situations like these, I'd love to read them in the comment space below!

#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

No comments: