Friday 23 May 2014

Cautionary Tattoo Tale

Image that appears with my article on Klementine
(** Not my tattoo)
Being the crazy character I am, I have always been curious about tattoos, such as what they felt like, my pain threshold, what I would get done, where and how addictive they were. The only thing that ever deterred me from getting a tattoo was the whole permanency thing. Luckily there are tattoo removal parlours for that. So on a recent semester exchange trip to Mexico, I decided to grow a pair of tits and act on my curiosity.

After doing some research, I ended up going to a tattoo parlour that a Mexican guy I had a crush on recommended me. The place was clean and run by an attractive, young male tattooist with beautiful, clear skin. Although I did not understand a word he said, I smiled out of politeness and flirtatiously giggled at everything he said. For most people language barriers are a challenge but for the tattooist and I, (love knows no boundaries and) we managed perfectly well. It was fortunate that my first tattoo was a simple letter ‘M’ on my wrist, therefore nothing complicated.

First tattoo as captured on Instagram

I found the whole experience was fascinating. From the moment I sat down for him to start tattooing me I was completely mesmerised. The ‘pain’ people spoke of was a simple discomfort. I recall telling people how relaxing the experience was ... until he went over the same areas twice, or around the curve of my wrist. The experience set me back $500 peso ($AUD35-40), which was 2-3 times significantly cheaper than prices back in Melbourne for tattoos of the same calibre.

Most of the time when I speak to people with tattoos, they often comment how addictive the ‘pain’ is and how they have this strong desire to continuously get more. I definitely can say that I lack that urge, however I did have the desire to get another tattoo before coming back home to Melbourne. I knew this time though that I wanted something more elaborate than a simple letter ‘M’.

In hindsight I am very grateful how my second tattoo turned out, considering how I communicated to my tattooist using my very limited Spanish vocab and Google Translate of what I wanted done. Reflecting on my experience I realise I probably went about getting tattoos in the wrong way, such as getting them done in a foreign speaking country where I do not know the language fluently and the cost of getting it done was significantly cheaper (and possibly riskier). I am almost shocked that I didn’t end up with a vaginal looking piece permanently imprinted on my body because of the risky channels I used to communicate what I wanted to my tattooist.

Second Tattoo

Although one of the main reasons I decided to get a tattoo overseas was because it was significantly cheaper, I must stress that it was also significantly riskier. I am a cautionary tale that received the best possible outcome, however there are others (not like myself) that are stuck with the permanency of discoloured or misspelt tattoos. Do not be that person and please, think before you ink.

*** For those considering going to Mexico to get inked up, my Tattooist's name is Fabian and this is his Facebook page.

---

Have you got any tattoo horror stories you care to show?
Please write them in the comment space below :)

#BeyoncéWouldBeProud x

No comments: